Sunday, November 7, 2010

Vegan Traveler Reviews for residents

When I island of Cebu, the Philippines, accompanied by a Filipino friend of the escape winter Tokyo earlier this year, I knew the Filipinos were big meat eaters. Previously, I had visited Manila during the Christmas holidays and Pinoy delicacies as roast suckling pig and cattle rumen were everywhere.

As a vegan who eats only rarely, I was worried about what I eat during our weekend of 5 days. This time my friend put my mind at ease by volunteering to "go vegan" temporarily,I do not want to hard questions, hear and ingredients to prepare special vegan menu. He said he needed to get healthy (weight loss), however, would do him good. It seemed like a great deal at that time.

The first meal of the trip was a meal on a flight from Cebu to Tokyo. I ordered the non-dairy vegetarian meals for both, and in contrast to U.S. airlines have flown to serve with all the others (if you're lucky that you look at all are)Philippine Airlines serves special meals in first place at the same time we were served drinks. While the portions were small, the ingredients were of high quality (including artichokes, hearts of palm and olive) for economy class, and the service was warm, too. My friend was so excited about the special treatment, he was eager to update his Facebook wall.

After putting in his own country, my companion began to diminish enthusiasm for vegan food. The first morning in the all-inclusiveBuffet breakfast, ate sausages and bacon, along with eggs, pancakes, waffles, you name it. That evening in the hall for free, there was meat and fish, pizza and all kinds of cheeses that have been tested not long ago my willpower.

Fortunately, I managed to fill me with fruit, olives, sun dried tomatoes (and all the vegetables I could choose the Entres meat) - depending on the sympathy of the hall staff on duty - an occasional roast vegetablesSandwich from the kitchen. Another life saved was the availability of fresh, seasonal fruits like pineapple, mango, kiwi fruit, breadfruit, bananas, monkeys, and citrus fruits and apples, too.

There have been few occasions when - perhaps feeling desire - I accidentally ate elements appeared as the traditional Filipino dessert made of rice, vegan-safe, only to discover that they contained significant amounts of milk or egg products. I ask more cautious before you eat nowI came to the conclusion that animal products contain almost all that are not vegan-friendly places to eat (otherwise it would be easy as vegan!).

When we ventured outside the hotel vegan options were limited even more. I was on my friend, check with the restaurant wait staff, the food did not contain animal products or even without it, if you count did.Unfortunately to eat a vegan style, his patience was "my diet" where everthin. Fortunately, if we do not eat, we enjoy relaxing on the white sand beach, swimming, drawing, yoga, getting massages, shopping and all that fun tropical holiday brings to mind!

Products menu meal in a Thai restaurant that had a vegan side, I agree, I preferred to try the grill restaurant, my friend, Gerry, and discovered it was a vegetable stew Filipino Bulanglang (from bitter gourd) that I liked . I guessstate of fish or meat extract darkness lurking in the sauce, but my friend insisted the waiter assured him that he is not. The next day we went to another branch of the same chain, and left again Bulanglang, it was different. The sauce was clear, and the spicy taste that I had the day before it was discovered missing. And indeed - after reviewing the formula for Bulangang, I found that contains bagoong, a pasta with anchovies or other fish!

On another occasion, while my friend went to useBad, I ordered an iced coffee. Sure enough, I thought. In Japan, only cold coffee cold (vs. hot) coffee, but soon I suspect, "Ice Coffee" had a very different meaning in the Philippines, until our waiter returned with a cup of coffee parfait with a scoop of ice cream vanilla! I told the waiter my misunderstanding, and asked him to take a simple iced coffee, but seemed confused. When my friend, a heated argument ensued between the twoFilippini. As a result, my friend told me I would get my coffee ice (in addition to the dessert that was ordered) and I noticed that I never deal in the Philippines!

Miraculously, my friendship survived the trip, and looking back it was a valuable learning experience, too. Are you an aspiring vegan planning a vacation or business trip:

1. Look at your destination in advance (ie, with the guide to discover the compassionate vegan food HappyCow.netSociety), what to expect and plan accordingly. If possible, avoid holidays and ceremonies are served in traditional dishes.

2. If your flight meals, ask the airline "to prepare" special meal (excluding dairy products and eggs, vegetarian) for a good start. Avoid snacks that look suspicious (not vegan) by plane or airport.

3. When you arrive at your destination, take all the food preparations containing products of animal origin, and not something to eatbefore confirming that it is vegan. Depending on the situation, you can trace substances of animal origin (ie, soups, fish or meat) trade-offs. On the whole, fresh fruits and vegetables are often the best choice.

4. If you do not speak the language of the country you intend to visit, make sure that you are vegan-friendly friend (not only to be disappointed when they load their favorite food is not vegan).

Now, buckle up, sit back, relax and enjoy yourTravel!

No comments:

Post a Comment