Thursday, November 11, 2010

Eddie Rickenbacker Had a Six Word Formula For Success

If you've been paying attention (to American history) you already know that Eddie Rickenbacker was a successful race car driver before the became the most celebrated US Air Ace in during WW I. You might not know that after the war he would become an airline executive, a wartime advisor, and a famous and extremely successful industrialist.

As a business leader of his time, like the Jack Welsh of the 1920's he was often quoted. One of his most famous quotes, and the one he is reported to have personally lived by was, "Think things through then follow thru."

He believed and I have witnessed that most of the stress we experience in our careers comes from working on low priority - or as my friend Jack Werth says, low probability tasks.

The amazing thing is that as soon as we start working on high priority - high value activities, the stress disappears. We immediately begin to feel a continuous stream of energy and enthusiasm. And as we work toward the completion of something that is important to us, we feel an increased sense of personal value and satisfaction - pride in the steps toward accomplishment is probably greater than the pride we feel when we have completed the task.

Here are six ideas that I always try to keep in front of me - where I can see them every time I look up from my computer screen, to help me set priorities and work on the highest priority (highest probability) projects at all times.

First, I always try to take the time to delete my aim and objectives. Accuracy first second swing - remember, no matter who you are making good time when you're in the wrong way. When I click on target with what is important, I will continue to give priority to me in the direction of the objectives I am trying to move.

Second, maintain a long-term vision or perspective and things today as the biggest impact on my future. Keeping the objectives in my lifebalance is a key here - setting priorities in the areas of health and relationships are just as important as the money and career priorities. Having used this system for over three decades I am seeing the results from years gone bye today - which really motivates me to focus today's behaviors on tomorrow's intended results.

Third, I make a commitment to improve those aspects of my life that are most important to me. In your case, if you are in sales then learn exactly how to be an excellent sales person. If you are a parent then focus on being the best one you can be. It is true today and always has been - the power is on the side of the person with the most practical knowledge - it will be your leg up on your competition.

Forth is about taking the time to do your work right the first time. In other words measure twice, cut once. You never get a second chance to make a first impression. Why is it there is never enough time to do it right but always enough time to do it over? You get the idea. The fewer mistakes you make the less time you'll waste.

Fifth, remember it's not the amount you put in that counts. It is the amount and % of time you spend on high priority tasks. You will always (and only) be paid for the results you get - not simply the hours you spend on the job.

And finally, never forget that the most important part of setting priorities is your ability to make good choices. You are always free to choose to take on one thing or another. You can choose activities with high value or low value activities. You can choose what stress is relieved and not objective.

But if you choose, you must accept the consequences, so choose wisely.

Decide now clear priorities in all areas of your life and always choose the activities that ensure the maximum health, happiness and prosperity in the long run.

What will look like in the long run for you? It 'time,wish you'd done the things you are not doing now? Or will it be the time you'll look back and see, literally see, the choice points and how you chose the road less taken?

By now I hope you are thinking about the implications of what you've just read and I also hope you will take a few seconds and post your comments for the rest of us. By sharing your experiences and insights here you will be adding to the richness of the conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment